Thursday, August 27, 2009

BYE BYE USA

Hey all

So I am sitting here unable to sleep waiting for my friend to wake up so he can drive me to the airport. I am so excited today is the day I finally get to go move to China. As many of you know I have dreaming about this for years. All I can think about is getting on the plane and then meeting my colleague at the airport in Shanghai. I hope to use this to keep everyone up to date about my life and also give a unique view of China. While I may make political statements once in a while I ask that you please dont leave any comments that paint China in a poor light. I would really rather not end up in jail and I dont know Bill Clinton to get me out. Other then that I would love to hear other comment from you. So I hope you stop by often and find this interesting. I will write once I get settled and tell you all about the school and the city.

3 comments:

  1. By now you should be settled in. How is life in China these days for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. L'Shanah Tova!! I am writing to you on an auspicious day. It was a blast to read your blog thus far. You are so funny. Just like your dad.
    We love you. Continue to enjoy and explore. Love, Ellen & Howie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lauren,

    How auspicious that I am in Austin Texas (that's not the auspicious part) with another China Jew. Gemma is nearly nine years old (come January) and pretty delightful. I decided to let her go to soccer practice last night before her big game this morning in lieu of going to Rosh Hashonah services because I don't want her to resent going to temple and she is very committed to soccer. She gets committed to everything she does, really. So she will skate one more year without going to all the High Holiday services (but we will go to hear the shofar blown at the end of Yom Kippur, and meanwhile, we do read some good stories about the holidays.

    I hope you read Shanghai Girls by Lisa See before you left for China--beautiful book (as was See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan). If you didn't, let me know and I will send it to you. I am going to answer your mom's email now with a cc: to my young (24-year old) Chinese friend who graduated from UT two years ago but went back to China (her parents are in Tienjin) last year, and is now working in Shanghai. I hope you can get together with her when you are there next week. Her name is Ying Meng but goes by Lily. Lauren, in spite of many moons that have gone by without visits (or sometimes emails) I have always considered your mom and you great friends (your mom and I have actually known each other for 35 years) and I remember when you were born, how happy she was (and your daddy--over the moon--and I still miss my funny friend Jeff)and what a great pair you are--and such great role models for me and my Gemma! So now I bid you goodnight (for me, morning for you?) with love and all good things for a Happy New Year(the first and most important of three) and look forward to reading of your adventures, and living vicariously through them. Tsai chien, l'shanah tova, love, peace and sweetness, Esther

    ReplyDelete